Friday, March 5, 2010

The Summer Palace and That Great Big Wall

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. The past couple of days have been amazing. Beijing is incredible and the history here is just unbelievable. It is a lot to take in - too much in the short time we have really. I will first say that the Chinese people have been so welcoming. So very, very kind. They are very proud of their country and are very excited to show it to us and to teach us about their home.

Yesterday, we visited The Summer Palace. I won't bore you with my rendering of the history, but it was really beautiful. Even in the cold weather it just had a peaceful beauty. You could just imagine how incredible it would be with all of the flowers and trees in bloom. Our country is so new compared to China. It is hard to believe the things we are seeing are so old. Hundreds to thousands of years old.

Today we went to "That Great Big Wall". This is what Tate calls it. It was SO cold. Freezing. But amazing. Tate and I walked up about as far as his little legs would go. It is VERY steep so I am actually surprised he made it as far as he did. Tucker was a champ and went up 3 towers with Keith. It was a long way. It was a great memory made. :)

We were also able to do a rickshaw tour through a Hutong. The Hutong is what we would call a neighborhood where the middle class live. It was great to be able to see how many Chinese in Beijing live. We toured a family's home and spoke with the mother who told us about her family and their daily life. She was very sweet and served us tea.

Tomorrow we have an orientation with other families from our adoption agency. I am hoping we get updates and new pics of Mia! After the orientation, we will tour Tiananmen Square and The Forbidden City. We are also going to try the Peking Duck for dinner. Hard to believe we have just one more day here - we have an early flight on Sunday to Guangzhou and then Mia day on Monday!

I am having a hard time getting the pictures to upload tonight. I will try again in the morning and I will upload all of our pics to Shutterfly in the next day or so. My mom really is here. :) Somehow we have managed to take most pictures of her with her camera so I don't have many in my computer. We will try to remedy that too!

It's sleepy time now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment