Friday, July 6, 2012

Mia's Day

I'm up early again. This time it is a little on purpose.  I wanted to write about our day yesterday, but to be honest, last night it was still a little heavy on my heart and I just didn't quite have the words. Not sure I have them this morning either, but I will try.

Yesterday's trip to Mia's orphanage was incredible. Truly incredible.  We arrived in Heshan a little before 11:00am after about a 2 hour ride. You all know road travel in China is CRAZY.  We had tried our best to prepare Mia for this moment.  We knew the nannies would be so excited to see her, but what we didn't expect was for all of the children to be there!  On our last visit, we were only allowed to see one child, her special friend. So, this was a surprise - and a little overwhelming for Mia. She clung to me for about the first 30 minutes. We spent some time visiting in the gathering area. They were very thankful for the things we brought them, but most loved the photo album I had made of Mia's time with us. They just giggled and made comments about every picture. So sweet.

Mia's orphanage is small so there were only about 10 or so children there at that time to see us.  And the older ones definitely remembered her.  They were so excited to see her and just kept calling her name.  I knew the clinginess had to end and the best remedy would be the playground.  I politely asked if she could go play as this had been something she had been excited about from the pictures.  It took a little bit, but she did finally warm up. 

Can you imagine?  They remember you, but you don't remember them?  Overwhelming for sure. And heartbreaking too. 

While the kids were playing, our guide told us that the director wanted us to see the inside. What?!  Again, something not allowed last time.  We were so touched that they would allow us to see where Mia had spent her days.  We were able to see the room she slept in and where she ate her meals. There is a little play space upstairs where we saw a cutie walking around in a walker (after we woke him from his nap). Oops.  We were able to see where the older kids stay also.  I was pleased to hear that there are older girls that go out and work during the day, but are allowed to come back in the evening to live. There is an indoor play area also.  

Now for the most awesome part?  We were invited to lunch. Yep. And we didn't know what to do!  This is the funny part where we had an ongoing crazy conversation between me, Keith, the assistant director and our translator. Should we accept?  Of course we wanted to, but we didn't want to be a burden either. We are a party of 7 on this trip when you include our guide, Lily.  A lot of extra mouths to feed.  And it would be completely rude for us to offer to pay as I was told quickly by Lily when I asked her.  "No, No, No!", she said. "You no buy". They happy you come. They buy."  Well, ok then. And after saying goodbye to the littles, who were going in to have their own lunch, we headed out to a restaurant.  

Honestly, we were just completely thrilled to have the additional time with them.   I was also so happy that Ms. Huang, Mia's main nanny was able to join us.  Mia sat between the two of us. It was a beautiful, very traditional meal.  Lily had asked them to just do a small "rice and noodle" lunch. They obviously ignored her. :) The food kept coming, plate by plate.  I think we ended up with at least 7 different delicious dishes. It was nice to get to know them better. The best you can with everything being translated. We just ate and talked and laughed. It was really great. 

 Ms. Huang so sweetly cared for Mia. I loved that for the first, and probably only time in her life, her two "mommies" were there, together, both helping her with her meal. I can't even put into words what that means to me.  You see, we don't know anything about Mia's birth family. Nothing. We probably never will.  But, Ms. Huang was the one that held my baby and cared for her before me. I saw genuine love for my child from her.  She loved Mia. They all did. 

There are still those big gaping holes in her beginnings.  I don't know what her first moments were like. I don't know what her infant cry sounded like, or when she rolled over, crawled or walked for the first time. I don't have pictures of her as a baby. But, I do know this. They loved her enough to give her a better life. They told us that they had her lip repaired, but didn't have her palate repaired because they were afraid it would not be good enough. They wanted the best for her. They are so excited for her to have a "good family" as they kept telling Lily. They giggled so much at Mia playing with Tucker and Tate.  They said,"the boys love her very much".  Yes, they do.

So. That was our day back at Mia's first home. There are more stories to tell, but it is way too much to write. :)  I am just so thankful for more stories to tell her.  When she is ready and asks us, we just have more to give her.  Not all. I don't have the whole story.  But, I do have more.  And for that I will be forever grateful. 

A little bit of Heshan City

Seeing the children

Warming up in one of the play areas

The inside crib and meal area

Where the babies sleep

The indoor play area

A sweet friend so excited to see Mia

The lunch crew

At the restaurant

Ms. Huang watching Mia open her peanuts. :)
















2 comments:

  1. Simply incredible! So happy it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How incredibly wonderful! So happy that they shared so much with you.

    ReplyDelete